Visitor Visas B-1/B-2


To enter the United States temporarily as a visitor, you are usually required to obtain some type of non immigrant visa. Your stay in the United States will be for a limited period of time, and will be subject to restrictions based on the reason for which your visa was issued — for tourism (pleasure), business, or medical treatment. These visitor visas require the holder to make clear to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy that the holder does not intend to remain permanently in the United States.

Applicant’s Burden of Proof

After completing all of the documentation for a pleasure visa, the biggest challenge lies ahead. In order to obtain a visa from the consular officer, an applicant must clearly and convincingly show the purpose of the trip, the intent to depart the United States, and economic ability to pay for the trip.

There are no forms or regulations that govern what an applicant needs to submit to the consular officer to establish these things. However, a letter from a business that states the purpose of your travel, letters from friends and relatives, bank statements, a tour company itinerary, or a letter from a doctor stating that you will be receiving medical treatment may all be helpful in meeting this requirement. In addition, an applicant must show some kind of tie to his or her home country that would require or strongly encourage the applicant’s return home — such as a permanent residence, positive employment prospects, or family obligations.

Personal or Domestic Employees: Under immigration law, visitor visas are limited to the following circumstances, for personal or domestic employee purposes of travel to the U.S. A visitor (B-1) visa is appropriate when all eligibility requirements are met, for a personal or domestic employee who accompanies or follow to join: 1) A U.S. citizen employer having a permanent home or is stationed in a foreign country, who is visiting or is assigned to the United States temporarily; OR 2) A foreign citizen employer in the United States in B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, or Q non immigrant visa status.

Important Notice: Recent changes to U.S. law relate to the legal rights of employment-based non immigrants under Federal immigration, labor, and employment laws. As a personal or domestic employee seeking to come to the U.S. temporarily (on a B-1 Visitor Visa), before your interview, it is important that you review this matter with an experienced immigration lawyer.